Saturday, March 28, 2009

Artist Lecture: Amy Stein

© Amy Stein


On Wednesday March 4th, 2009, fine art photographer Amy Stein spoke at Virginia Commonwealth University as part of VCU's Visiting Artist lecture series. The New York-based Stein spoke of her seemingly random decision to become a photographer and the bumpy road that has brought her to where she is now. It was very encouraging to hear her speak of the struggles and frustration that all artists are prone to. She said that it was the publishing of one particular photo-an image of a young girl laying on the beach on the 4th of July- that took her from almost throwing in the towel to feeling like she really could do something special with her art. Her casual, excited manner and the openness with which she spoke made the lecture both fun and enlightening.


© Amy Stein

Besides simply loving her work, it was the insight into her artistic process that I appreciated the most. I had never heard an artist speak so candidly about their inspirations and methods of producing work. It was interesting to hear how one project, the Women and Guns series, provided the inspiration for another body of work, the Domesticated series. While speaking of the Domesticated series, Stein made the comment, "I just knew this work had to be made." I love that she felt such a strong conviction to make her work. I also found it very interesting that she said she often works on two projects at the same time, approaching the work with different methods as to be able to go back and forth when frustrated with one or the other. It was while discussing the Stranded series that Stein made a comment that has truly stuck with me. She stated that, "Photography is about being vulnerable, opening yourself up to new experiences, taking risks." I think this is a beautiful, inspiring quote that challenges me to be the best photographer I can be and to allow my work to take me into the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment