Monday, February 2, 2009

VCU Artist Lecture: Alix Pearlstein

As I left the VCU Artist Lecture by Alix Pearlstein, running out into the poring rain, I felt as if I had missed something. I had found her work intriguing, although it wasn't quite my cup of tea or anything I really understood for that matter, it was original and was intended to convey meaning, two things I did understand and respect. Over the next few days my mind kept wandering back to the lecture, back to the videos and words she spoke about them. Was I stupid or not well-versed enough in artist jargon to understand her work or the things she said about it for 2 hours? As I looked back at the four and a half pages of notes that I furiously took while she spoke I began to understand why I had left that auditorium feeling a bit empty.

The way Ms. Pearlstein spoke lacked energy. She was obviously very nervous at the beginning, (I can remember a multitude of "um's" all in a row), but even once she seemed to shake the nerves, her speech didn't ever seem more engaging or excited. I feel as if the point of artist lectures is for students to feel inspired by not only the work but by the artist's passion for their work. Another downfall in my opinion was the choice of words and tone that Ms. Pearlstein used to describe and explain her work and influences. Her tone seemed a bit pretentious and her references a bit elite and art-snobbish. Although she should certainly be able to talk about her influences, no matter how obscure or elite, and use the jargon that is appropriate and comfortable, there is a way to do so without losing the connection to one's audience. A familiar, at ease tone, instead of the uncomfortable, read-straight-from-the-notes tone, would have at least made the talk bearable. I had hoped to leave the lecture inspired and enlightened and instead I left feeling down-trodden and confused. It did however, provide a good lesson of what not to do when speaking about one's work, reminding me that there is always something to learn, even when there's not!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is definitely a lesson we should all take to heart. Even though you may not have felt a comprehensive understanding of the videos, did you feel like to were able to connect to any particular video on any level, be it emotional, theoretical, or whatever?
    Hassan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely felt that I connected to a number of the videos just by being intrigued and entertained. The one I enjoyed the most and felt that I did understand was the last video titled Gold Rush. I thought it was very well done and ripe with meaning.

    ReplyDelete